I know that the most recent failed prophecy is on everyone’s mind, so you’ve probably already forgotten about June 26th, 2011. The details don’t really matter – it’s pretty much the same story, only the dates have changed.
After the disappointing no-show last June, a post was presented here to help those who might feel confusion about their revelations, Jim’s prophecies, how it can all still be true even when it isn’t (here in the realm of reality, anyway) and how to keep believing even when you’ve been proven wrong.
Here it is again — as it seems just as apropos now is at it was then (almost prophetic, some would say, though I wouldn’t dream of mimicking Jim’s hubris). Only the dates have been changed, everything else has been left exactly as it was written last year.
26th of June 1st of April has come and gone… and the question on everyone’s mind is “What now?”
We’re still in that “space of time” right after the failed event in which many still expect it to happen at any moment (i.e., “Immediately after the Solemn Assembly”). This can go on for several days, weeks or even months.
I have a little challenge for you: check back here in one year [
June 26th, 2012 April 1st, 2013]… and another year will have gone by without “it happening.” Impossible for you to believe now… but when the year has come and gone, many will have convinced themselves that “of course, because we now know x, y and z!”
This is an interesting time. There’s a lot of scrambling going on, lots of people trying to make sense out of the insensible. But I’m here to help you navigate through the quagmire and help you keep your faith in Jim (even though you shouldn’t).
Find an excuse YOU can believe!
You have lots to choose from, but you are really looking for one you can believe in. This does not necessarily need to be the one you publicly embrace – that’s determined by what eventually becomes the party line (hint: ask Matt, Chris, Gale or Amandah what you “should” believe. Don’t ask Elaine, though). No, you’re looking for something that you can hold onto in your heart and believe even if it goes against the official version. Here are some examples:
- We misheard the date
- The YHWH don’t use the Gregorian calendar
- We were seeking a sign… so it could not be given
- Having physical manifestations of our faith would be too dangerous, as it opens the veil to the enemy
- We missed some small detail in our preparations
- Nothing was really prophesied. Our expectations were all self-induced and not because of Jim’s declarations
- We have to be fully tested, and God is seeing who will be faithful even when we have every reason to doubt
- God was sorting out the sign-seekers… now they will go away and it can “really” happen
- We can’t have “total faith” unless we have absolutely NO outward signs (or physical fruits) that we hold the Fulness of the Priesthood
- We are on an alternate time-line, and the events really did happen on the “real” timeline (you’ll see, when we go back in time and it all comes together)
- Everything has already happened, we just didn’t recognize it at the time
- Things aren’t desperate enough yet, we have to get to the point that we NEED deliverance
- It’s important to the Plan to continue to appear to the world as if we’re failing (even if that means we had to ‘believe’ something that didn’t pan out)
- Nobody said which
June 26th April 1st…
- This is all part of the “Refiner’s Fire“
- This is the part where we have to “endure to the end“, even when the end seems perpetually out of sight
- This is just the briefest of moments of not understanding “why”, but it will all be worth it in the end
- Nothing happens as you expect it to, so the fact that it didn’t happen is proof that it was true revelation
- There are still those that need to be exposed and driven out, before the grand events can happen. Unfortunately, even Jim has to be kept in the dark as the Gods work their plan to drive them out
- You are expected to live “as if” the prophecies came true (e.g., “You are a translated being”), before God will allow the effects to become manifest
- Outward signs, “miracles”, and physical manifestations are for lesser vessels, those of weaker faith and lower standing. They are not for the exalted “High Gods” of the Inner Circle
(More will be added to this list as time goes on, so if you’re feeling confused and that doubt is starting to creep in, just come back and choose another!)
If you cannot find anything in the list above that will help you justify the failure of false prophecy, here is the mother of all reasons to continue to believe (even if you don’t):
“I have sacrificed too much, for too long, and at too dear a cost to throw it all away now. I’ve given up my family, my friends, my good name among men, my livelihood, and my agency. I HAVE to see it through, or I will have sacrificed it all for nothing. (Besides, there is nothing ‘out there’ for me, anyway – what will become of me if I leave Jim’s employ?”
It’s not true – but this kind of self-talk will keep you there in Manti (and doing as your told), even when all other excuses and justifications are no longer convincing.
You’ve got to have something to hold on to, or you might just (shudder) start thinking about leaving, living your life, and being responsible for your own decisions… and who wants that?
The good news is that soon enough you’ll be caught up in preparing/hoping/waiting/sacrificing for the next “window of opportunity” and you’ll (mostly) forget all about the discomfort, confusion and disappointment that you’re feeling right now. April 1st, 2012 will become “just another date”, one of many conveniently tucked away in the back recesses of your mind, and you can tell yourself that “It may not make sense, but it doesn’t matter because I feel peace about it.”
Just like last time. And the time before. And the time before that. And the time before that… ad nauseum.
So now what? Just keep on keepin’ on… because there’s nothing worse than admitting you were wrong.